HOW TO: THE CLIENT TALK OR INTERVIEW IN ENGLISH
In principle, the goal of the initial client talk or interview is to obtain information about the potential client as well as his/her legal situation. To ensure the professional and successful performance of a client interview/talk, both tact and professional competence are required (in correct grammar). In order to be able to adequately assess the client’s needs, lawyers must have sufficient information to evaluate the case and provide competent legal support. At the same time, the talk is the ideal opportunity to create an interpersonal relationship and build trust. Clients would like to cooperate with a trustworthy and understanding lawyer, since ultimately the latter is to represent his/her interests at court.
SOME ASPECTS OFTEN ESSENTIAL FOR A SUCCESSFUL CLIENT TALK OR INTERVIEW:
- Explain the procedure to the client
- Recognize what the client needs
- Get the information needed to consider how the client’s goals can be achieved
- Provide trust, professional competence, professionalism and commitment to the case
- Expiry of the client conversation
- A professional client exchange should have a logical structure without being too rigid. However, a certain routine approach can be helpful to achieve a certain degree of confidence while at the same time delivering professionalism. At the very least, good client discussions require a pleasant conversation atmosphere and the necessary empathy.
THE 3 MAIN PHASES OF THE CLIENT TALK OR INTERVIEW:
- Listening: Receiving information and analyzing the case
- Asking questions: eliminating ambiguities
- Consulting: giving legal assistance and professional advice
- It is almost impossible to give competent advice before receiving all initial information required. Listening is not necessarily easy for many people because it requires patience, empathy and analytical competence to adequately evaluate nonverbal and verbal communication.
The last phase is the most important; the client has not only asked a lawyer to clarify his situation. Initially, he also wants a professional assessment and advice. This assessment will enable him to decide whether further legal steps are useful. Particularly at this point is psychological sensitivity, as clients certainly do not want to feel that the lawyer would sell them their services without regard for losses. Authenticity and honesty are essential to gain the confidence of the client.
FURTHER TIPS AND HINTS FOR A SUCCESSFUL CLIENT TALK OR INTERVIEW
- Simply explain the facts
- Use specialist terminology sparingly; for reasons of comprehensibility
- Ensure a pleasant conversation atmosphere
- Clients encourage your point of view and your views
- Reflect the conversation content
- Ask for clarity when needed
- Brief summary of the central conversation content
- Give clients the opportunity to ask questions, eliminate doubts or express fears
- Present and discuss options
- Illustrate solutions, so that there are possibilities for selection
- Explain further procedures in detail
- Showing empathy and understanding of the client’s personal situation. 
 Chen, Nancy: How to conduct an effective client interview. In: Law Institute Victoria. Stand: n/a. https://www.liv.asn.au/YoungLawyersBlog_Old/November-2012/How-to-conduct-an-effective-client-interview abgerufen am 27. Dezember 2016.
 Kelly, David/ Slapper, Gary: Legal Skills Guide. In: The English Legal System. Stand: n/a. 2010/2011. http://cw.routledge.com/textbooks/9780415566957/interviewing.asp abgerufen am 27. Dezember 2016.
 Keefer, Amber: How to conduct a client interview. In: Chron. Stand: n/a. http://work.chron.com/conduct-client-interview-7176.html abgerufen am 27. Dezember 2016.