LEGAL ENGLISH DICTATION FROM A TAPE RECORDING
You are a secretary or assistant in a law firm or commercial enterprise? Part of your job may be to type up letters and/or e-mails dictated in English? This can be challenging. But with some useful help you can improve your skills in a fairly short time.
(A) INPUT PHASE
First, we read together legal correspondence and legal texts of medium difficulty.
(B) ANALYSIS PHASE
- You will recognize similarities and differences in the structure of English spelling.
- You will practise pronunciation of common words and phrases.
- You will learn the reasons for choosing the terms and phrases used in the context.
Writing a Legal English dictation involves different aspects of English learning and some technical skills:
- Understanding: Clearly, you must recognize the words to be typed. Take no risks. You must know how or where to find and check unknown terms.
- Spell-check with Word. When must you be careful with the spell-check? Have you checked the use of the new term in its context?
- Using Linguee effectively.
- Checking your grammar with Grammarly.
- Add new terms to your glossary (for later use)
- Dictation is a challenging job. So, follow each step carefully.
This is what you will learn in the lessons: step-by-step Legal English Dictation exercises
(C) APPLICATION + TRANSFER PHASE – 5 STEPS
Short texts containing technical terms will be dictated with the participants and corrected in the group.
Various exercises are used to strengthen understanding. Gap exercises, C-exercises and text analyses are used for this purpose. For example, analyses of individual passages from everyday legal correspondence and texts with orthographically similar words are used to practise the subject matter.
In addition, our speakers use word sequence exercises and letter dictation with a slight German accent; in short, a practical simulation of the lawyer’s situation takes place. To ensure that everyone involved can make the best possible use of everyday mistakes, these are corrected in the group and solutions explained. In addition, the used terminology can be explained on request.
(D) LEGAL ENGLISH MUNICH DICTATION
“Cognates” (related words), tenses, adverbs or adjectives are thematized. To support this, the grammar, structure and layout of the dictated letters are scrutinized in detail. Moreover, the participants examine prepositions and “linking words”, the so-called signposts of the letter. You will benefit from the wealth of experience of your subject specialist, who can give you many tips for avoiding classic mistakes. Thus, you are optimally prepared for the daily office correspondence.
- Short texts containing legal terms are dictated to the participants and then corrected in the group.
- Different forms of exercise are used to strengthen understanding and application.
- Gap exercises and C-tests are used as well as analysis of legal correspondence.
- In addition, you will do word order exercises and intensive letter/e-mail dictation.
- The results will be corrected in the group and solutions are explained.
Important! Please let us know in advance the area of law in which you work in your law firm. This enables us to select and provide suitable dictation templates for you. Thus we can adapt our teaching material optimally to your individual learning needs.
(E) BENEFITS OF ABLE WORKSHOPS/COURSES
- You will work on your difficulties with dictation. In this workshop, you will receive answers to many of the language problems that may have been bothering you for a long time.
- Important tools. The workshop will discuss the use of relevant specialized dictionaries and online dictionaries. At the same time, the creation of a suitable personal glossary may be drafted.
- Advantage for your employer. Lawyers with a sound knowledge of English will see a significant improvement in the correspondence of their staff.
- Positive feedback. Your lawyer will notice or positively comment on your improvements in vocabulary.
(F) BENEFITS FOR YOU AS AN EMPLOYER
After our workshop for Legal English Dictation Exercises, the error rate of your letters to colleagues and clients will decrease considerably. Of course, we attach great importance to spelling, grammar and punctuation, which is why we want you to master them after our course.
The workshop will also discuss the use of relevant dictionaries and the choice of the right online dictionaries. The creation of glossaries is also discussed in detail. So your assistants always have the most important tools at hand. As a result, lawyers and law firm staff with a sound knowledge of English will see a significant improvement in their correspondence.
Writing or understanding legal English is a problem for you? Eliminate this in no time by registering for our Legal English Dictation Exercises course today. Immerse yourself in the English legal language! And all this in an uncomplicated way, by adding to and refreshing your existing knowledge.