LEGAL ENGLISH DRAFTING FOR LAWYERS, COUNSEL AND TAX CONSULTANTS
The aim of this course is to provide you with the skills you require for drafting legal documents, to help you cope with the demands of legal writing. Emphasis will be placed on your main writing activities in correspondence and contract drafting may be included in this training.
Nowadays lawyers are confronted with English-language texts from all over the world. However, the contractual English used is not always easy to understand and sometimes very difficult to structure.
Legal English for lawyers is essential in order to survive in professional life. Often the lawyer also has to understand the culture and environment of the country of origin in order to interpret texts and facts correctly.
Thus, the legal profession of the 21st century requires not only thorough knowledge of laws and legal situations, but also more complex skills and abilities. Accordingly, they must be able to put the intention and will of a client into the right words on the basis of the law.
Globalization in commerce and the service sector has made legal English a must for lawyers.
WHY CERTIFICATION IS IMPORTANT
In-depth language skills in legal English for lawyers and lawyers in an international field of activity are essential to survive in the global world in the long term. A language certificate gives the participant proof of his/her mastering English legal language. Moreover, in addition to proven knowledge of Legal English for lawyers and counsel, TOLES will not only prepare you for international negotiations and contract formulation, but also has a fishing qualification. Of course, ABLE supports you both before and after certification. We look forward to your inquiry!
Part 1: Analysis of Language Usage, Register and Style
- Legal English writing standards
- Effectiveness in legal writing via Plain English
- Legal style vs. colloquial style
- Formal legal style vs. “legalese”
- Reducing wordy phrases
Part 2: Correspondence and Memoranda
- Structuring your writing.
- Layout conventions: salutation, body, close, and signature.
- “Signposts” to direct the reader.
- Letter-writing and email style exercises.
- Writing memoranda.
- Sentence length and paragraphing.
- Spotting and editing language errors.
- Developing a step-by-step editing method.
- Letter-drafting exercises: the client care letter, letters to colleagues
BENEFITS OF LEGAL ENGLISH DRAFTING
- As a result of this workshop, you will more consciously aim to achieve three goals – clarity, consistency, and effectiveness.
- You should also develop an increased awareness of the appropriate style necessary for legal writing, steering the right course between colloquialisms, on the one hand, and “legalese”, on the other.
- After the course you will analyse and learn to master modern principles of legal writing style, abandoning unnecessary obscure words for contemporary equivalents.
- The course provides you with the necessary skills to place more emphasis on the structure, the signposts (discourse markers) in your legal drafts and the effect of your writing.
- In our Legal English courses B1 and B2 you will learn how to express complex matters in easy terms (Plain English) for your clients.
- You will receive expert support from a coach who has held workshops and courses in renowned law firms and educational institutes of higher learning for many years.
Naturally ABLE will support you before and after your certification.
We will be most happy to answer your questions. We look forward to your inquiry.